Monday, December 14, 2015

Brussels Sprout and Quinoa Salad

Last Sunday, I was looking for a quick and easy lunch.  I came across a recipe in Martha Stewart Living and decided to try it out. I made a few modifications to use ingredients I already had. The modified recipe is below! Next time, I think I'll add edamame or chickpeas for even more protein. I hope you enjoy! 


Ingredients

  • 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
  • 1 tsp lemon zest; and
  • 2 Tbsp lemon juice from 1 lemon
  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 8 ounces brussels sprout, trimmed and shaved (very thinly sliced)
  • 1/4 cup toasted almonds, thinly sliced or slivered
  • 1 leek, thinly sliced
  • 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • Lemon slices, for garnish, if desired

Put quinoa and 1 1/2 cups water in a small sauce pan and add a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.

Whisk lemon juice and olive oil in salad bowl. Add zest, Brussels sprout, almonds, leek and red pepper flakes; mix until nicely blended. Add quinoa and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with lemon slices, if desired. 

Serve immediately, or refrigerate, covered, up to 3 days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment