Wednesday, January 27, 2016

My Experience with an Online Food Delivery Service

Tofu Tortas & Tostones 

I was pleased with my Blue Apron experience! I tried 9 meals - and actually liked all of them. The produce was fresh, with the exception of just one avocado.
Here's some things I liked about the service:

  • No meal planning or grocery shopping required 
  • No food waste
  • The recipe cards were nicely written and illustrated and, therefore, easy to follow
  • The experience forced me to experiment with some ingredients that I may not have tried otherwise (e.g., plantain, sriracha)
  • The flavor of some common dishes were greatly enhanced due to the seasoning selections
  • The food portions were big, with leftovers for lunch the next day ;o)

The recipe cards inspired me to start being more organized while cooking in the kitchen ~ prepare and chop all ingredients before cooking ~ and reuse the pans during the different steps to save time in clean-up.

But, of course, there's usually a down-side... For me, it would be unconscionable to use the service regularly due to the substantial amount of package waste (e.g., large plastic ice packs, seasonings in small plastic bags and liquids in small plastic containers). Also, the service is a bit pricey for the vegetarian option at $60 for 3 meals, each serving 2 (same price as regular meal plan). 

Overall, I really enjoyed the experience ~ and plan on using the service occasionally. Also, I plan on checking out the recipes they post on their website ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment